Due to industrial action on the part of JCC Payment Systems Ltd, as of
midnight December 13th all credit and debit cardholders attempting to use
their cards in Cyprus, either for withdrawing cash at ATMs or paying at
point-of-sale locations (such as in shops, hotels and restaurants), may
experience problems in having their transactions authorised.
This is due to continuing industrial action within the data center of JCC
Payment Systems Ltd, the company that processes the majority of card
transactions in Cyprus. The action will affect all credit and debit payment
brands organisations, including MasterCard, as the banks in Cyprus have
decided to stop all card transactions. This situation will continue until a
time when full confidence has been restored in the processors ability to
securely and efficiently process transactions.
Every effort has been made to reduce the impact on all parties concerned,
particularly cardholders. MasterCard greatly regrets the inconvenience this
will cause for our cardholders, a number of whom will be visiting Cyprus on
holiday at this time. Our greatest priority is to ensure that our
cardholders get the service they have come to expect from their MasterCard
cards. We are greatly dismayed that this may not be the case, but are
unable to affect the situation created by the industrial action.
MasterCard cardholders only will still be able to access cash at the 19
National Bank of Greece (Cyprus) ATMs that are available throughout the
country, particularly in key tourist locations. This is due to the fact
that the National Bank of Greece (Cyprus) does not have its card
transactions processed by JCC Payment Systems Ltd, and remains unaffected
by this stoppage. The full list of these ATMS are detailed over.
Similarly cardholders with MasterCard and Maestro cards which have been
issued from any of the four following Cypriot banks will also be able to
withdraw money from the ATMs of these banks. The banks are; Bank of Cyprus,
Popular Bank, Hellenic Bank, National Bank of Greece (Cyprus), Federal Bank
of the Middle East.
It is not known at this stage how long this measure will be in force. For
further information, we advise cardholders to contact their bank.
Stoppage of card payments in Cyprus
National Bank of Greece (Cyprus) ATMs LOCATION
1. LEDRAS Branch (520) – 64-68, Ledras str., Nicosia
2. ELEFTHERIAS SQ. Branch (521) – Homer Ave. & Evagorou Ave.,
3. LEFKOSIA Branch (525) – 36, Makariou III Ave., Nicosia
4. ATHALASSAS Branch (527) – 90D, Athalassas Ave. & Iosif
5. AYIOS DOMETIOS BRANCH (522) – 35 Achaion & Delfon Str.,
6. LEMESOS Branch (540) – 4, Themidos str., Limassol
7. MAKARIOU Branch (541) – 86, Makariou III Ave., Limassol
8. GERMASOYIA Branch (543) – 67, Georgiou A’ Str., Pot.
9. GERMASOYIA Sub-Branch (543) – 95, Georgiou A’ Str., Pot.
LARNACA – FAMAGUSTA AREA
10. FAMAGUSTA Branch (530) – 39, Zenonos Kitieos str., Larnaca
11. LARNACA Branch (535) – 46, Makariou III Ave., Larnaca
12. AG.LAZAROU Branch (536) – 50, Nicou Rossou str., Larnaca
13. PARALIMNI Branch (531) – 98, 1st April Ave., Paralimni
14. PROTARAS Sub-branch (531) – 51, Protara Ave., Happy Days,
15. AGIA NAPA Branch (532) – 26, Nisi Ave., Agia Napa
16. MELPO ANTIA Sub-branch (532) – Nisi Ave., Melpo Antia Holdings,
17. TOMBS OF THE KINGS Sub-branch (545) – 25, Tombs of the Kings Ave.,
Palace Kings Centre, Paphos
18. KATO PAPHOS Sub-branch – 41, Posidonos Ave., Paphos
19. POLIS Branch (547) – 5, Griva Digeni str., Polis Crysohous
MasterCard International has a comprehensive portfolio of well-known,
widely accepted payment brands including MasterCard, Cirrus and
Maestro. More than 1.7 billion MasterCard, Cirrus and Maestro logos are
present on credit, charge and debit cards in circulation today. With
approximately 25,000 MasterCard, Cirrus and Maestro members worldwide,
MasterCard serves consumers and businesses, both large and small, in 210
countries and territories. MasterCard is a leader in quality and
innovation, offering a wide range of payment solutions in the virtual and
traditional worlds. MasterCard’s award-winning Priceless advertising
campaign is now seen in 90 countries and in 45 languages, giving the
MasterCard brand a truly global reach and scope. With more than 29 million
acceptance locations, no payment card is more widely accepted globally than
MasterCard. For the nine months ended September 30, 2002, gross dollar
volume exceeded US$831.7 billion. MasterCard can be reached through its
website at http://www.mastercardinternational.com.