LINK2GOV Corp., an IRS-authorized payment provider and a Metavante company, announced its PAY1040.com service, now in its fifth year of contracted electronic payment processing for the Internal Revenue Service, is witnessing a 63 percent year-over-year increase in dollars processed for federal tax payments during tax season 2007. This news follows a recent IRS report that showed significant growth in card-based tax payments during 2006. Taxpayers can use their American ExpressÂ®, DiscoverÂ®, MasterCardÂ®, or VisaÂ® card to make a federal tax payment at www.PAY1040.com or 1-888-PAY-1040 (1-888-729-1040). Metavante Corporation is the banking and payments technology subsidiary of Marshall & Ilsley Corporation (NYSE: MI).
“According to transaction data, the IRS received approximately 2.1 million card payments in 2006, and that represented a 35 percent growth over 2005. In tax season 2007, LINK2GOV is witnessing meaningful growth over the record-setting pace of 2006,” said Ed Braswell, president, LINK2GOV. “That means taxpayers are increasingly demanding the speed and convenience of card-based payments, instant proof of payment, and potentially gaining rewards points or miles from a card issuer.1 For LINK2GOV in particular, it also means that the growing popularity of PAY1040.com, evidenced by year-over-year growth, can be attributed not only to convenience, but also the innovation we’ve brought to card-based federal tax payments, through a number of industry-firsts such as QuickPay and AutoPay applications.”
QuickPay includes email reminders that are sent to an individual or business prior to their next tax payment due date. Each convenience email contains instructions on how to log on to www.PAY1040.com and make another payment. AutoPay then builds on that process, by allowing taxpayers to schedule recurring card-based federal tax payments on a day and month of their choosing. As part of the AutoPay service, the federal tax payment is confirmed with an email. Additionally, a convenient email reminder is sent five calendar days prior to each payment date, providing taxpayers with an opportunity to cancel if necessary.
– Taxpayers can use their American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa card to make a federal tax payment at www.PAY1040.com or 1-888-PAY-1040 (1-888-729-1040).
– LINK2GOV processes payments immediately and provides a confirmation number as proof of payment; the IRS posts the payment based on the Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number entered during the transaction.
– IRS payment date will be the date a transaction is authorized and completed. A taxpayer’s electronic payment will be considered on time so long as they complete their transaction prior to midnight (respective to their home time zone) on the due date.
– A convenience fee of 2.49 percent of the tax payment (minimum $1.00) is charged by LINK2GOV for using this service. The convenience fee for business tax payments is tax deductible to the extent permitted by law.
Eligible Tax Payments 2
– 1040 (all types)
– Balance Due Notice
– 1040ES Estimated
– Prior Tax Year (1997-2005)
– 4868 Automatic Extension
– Form 1040 Installment Agreement
– Form 1040 Advanced Payment of a Determined Deficiency
– Trust Fund Recovery Penalty (1997-2006)
– Form 941 Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax (1997-2006)
– Form 940 Employer’s Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax (1997-2006)
– Form 944 Employer’s Annual Federal Tax
LINK2GOV, a Metavante company, has been providing comprehensive, customized electronic service applications for government agencies since 1995. In addition to the IRS payment services, LINK2GOV also facilitates the collection of state income taxes, real estate taxes, utility bills, vehicle registrations, driver’s license renewals, parking tickets, traffic citations, tuition payments, court fees and fines, hunting and fishing licenses, as well as various business licenses. Metavante Payment Solutions delivers electronic money movement through an integrated payments network, including an ATM/PIN debit network in NYCE, online bill payment, a complete suite of payment cards and automated clearing house (ACH) processing. Metavante helps clients grow revenue by capitalizing on the expanding electronic payments markets including financial, healthcare and government payments.
Metavante Corporation delivers banking and payments technologies to financial services firms and businesses worldwide. Metavante products and services drive account processing for deposit, loan and trust systems, image-based and conventional check processing, electronic funds transfer, consumer healthcare payments, electronic presentment and payment, and business transformation services. Headquartered in Milwaukee, Metavante (www.metavante.com) is wholly owned by Marshall & Ilsley Corporation (NYSE: MI).
1 Payment card rewards programs are provided by the issuing financial institution and vary based on enrollment and eligibility.
2 Federal tax deposit payments are not eligible for this service.
Metavante, LINKGOV, PAY1040.com and NYCE are registered trademarks of Metavante Corporation.