In July, four semiconductor companies raised $81.6 million, down 46.8 percent from the $153.5 million raised in June 2011. However, the dollar amount total increased 92.9 percent from the $42.3 million raised in July 2010.
The Global Semiconductor Alliance (GSA), the voice of the global semiconductor industry, released July statistics from its Global Semiconductor Funding, IPO and M&A update, including the following information:
• In July, four semiconductor companies raised $81.6 million, down 46.8 percent from the $153.5 million raised in June 2011. However, the dollar amount total increased 92.9 percent from the $42.3 million raised in July 2010. The number of deals closed decreased by eight MoM and by three YoY.
• In July, fabless companies were the only semiconductor companies funded.
• For the second consecutive month, zero semiconductor companies priced. However, July saw two semiconductor companies file for an initial public offering”Intermolecular and Cirtek Electronics.
• When looking at the closing stock prices posted on July 29 for those companies that priced in 2011, with the exception of Ingenic Semiconductor, zero companies posted a higher stock price than their offer price.
• In July, the number of semiconductor mergers and acquisitions (M&As) announced (i.e., M&As of entire fabless, IDM and semiconductor supplier companies, not sectors/product lines or foundry facilities) increased by three MoM and one YoY.
Additional information is now available via the GSA website at www.gsaglobal.org/publications/fundings/index.a[…].
The Global Semiconductor Alliance (GSA) mission is to accelerate the growth and increase the return on invested capital of the global semiconductor industry by fostering a more effective ecosystem through collaboration, integration and innovation. It addresses the challenges within the supply chain including IP, EDA/design, wafer manufacturing, test and packaging to enable industry-wide solutions. Providing a platform for meaningful global collaboration, the Alliance identifies and articulates market opportunities, encourages and supports entrepreneurship, and provides members with comprehensive and unique market intelligence. Members include companies throughout the supply chain representing 30 countries across the globe. www.gsaglobal.org