MasterCard Canada announced the launch of MasterPass, the future of digital payments, making Canadian consumers the first in North America to be able to register for MasterPass services.
MasterPass is an innovation that delivers value to both consumers and merchants for its simplicity and security:
* Enabling a seamless, secure and speedy check out regardless of where consumers may be and what screen they may be using – MasterPass securely stores credit card information and shipping information in a secure cloud hosted by trusted entity.
* Added tools that provide consumers with real-time alerts, account balances, loyalty programs as well as Priceless offers and experiences.
As of launch, merchants including Porter Airlines, WagJag, Jaunt.ca and Grocery Gateway have enabled MasterPass checkout services on their eCommerce websites. MasterCard plans to expand the number of MasterPass enabled merchants in Canada to 800 merchants by the end of 2013 and 2,800 merchants by the end of 2014. When making purchases through these companies’ eCommerce websites, MasterPass digital services will allow Canadian consumers to securely and seamlessly complete their transaction in a few clicks, eliminating the burden of filling out card and shipping information repeatedly.
In Canada, eCommerce is growing at a much faster pace than retail sales. MasterCard Advisor’s SpendingPulse data shows total Canadian year-over-year eCommerce sales grew 26.6% over the past 6 months ending in February 2013, compared to just 2.9% growth in overall Canadian retail sales during the same time period.
“Canadians are early adopters when it comes to digital payments and embracing new technologies; that’s why Canada is the first market in North America where we’re launching MasterPass,” said Jason Davies, Vice President of eCommerce at MasterCard Canada. “With eCommerce growing by double digits, more and more Canadians want a secure, seamless and simple payment experience. MasterPass delivers this to consumers no matter if they are shopping on their laptops, tablets or mobile phones.”
A seamless check-out experienexperience anytime, anywhere
For consumers, MasterPass enables transactions on any enabled device:
* MasterPass ensures a secure payment experience – multiple layers of security protect a consumer’s MasterPass account from fraud. After a one-time registration, consumers can securely make payments that are as simple as a click, tap or touch, with optional enhanced security feature of a one-time use security code delivered by text message.
* MasterPass-connected wallets provide consumers with more payment options. Consumers can securely load up to 25 MasterCard and other branded credit, prepaid or branded debit cards, excluding Interac debit cards, and up to 25 shipping addresses.
* MasterPass makes the check out process seamless and simple whether shopping on a computer, smartphone or tablet by eliminating the need to enter detailed shipping and card information with every purchase.
Merchants and bank partners provide custom experience with MasterPass
Unlike what’s already in the market, MasterPass takes an open and flexible approach to mobile payments with an easy to integrate technology that enables adoption by merchants and banks.
* Banks, merchants and partners are able to offer their own wallets.
* MasterPass check out can be implemented with a retailers’ existing check out flow so the burden of integrating mobile and online payments for businesses is simplified.
BMO Launches MasterPass-connected BMO Wallet
BMO Bank of Montreal also announced today that consumers can sign up for their MasterPass enabled digital wallet called BMO Wallet in the coming weeks.
“With more consumers looking to digital solutions to make their day to day purchases, MasterPass is a logical evolution and fits into BMO’s strategic direction for payments solutions,” said David Heatherly, Head, North American Payments, BMO Bank of Montreal. “The launch of the BMO Wallet will allow us to provide a simple, seamless and consistent mobile payment experience across all digital channels, including computer, tablet and mobile-based transactions, while providing the same security features our customers have come to expect.”
Merchants and Financial Institutions Embrace MasterPass
Current partners include: WagJag, Jaunt.ca, Porter Airlines, Grocery Gateway, Roots, Global Payments Canada, TD Merchant Services, Moneris Solutions Corporation and BMO Bank of Montreal.
“MasterPass makes purchases that much easier for our customers. Porter prides itself on being an innovative airline that makes travel simple and easy. MasterPass brings this philosophy to our online reservation process by expediting the payment process.” Said Michael Deluce, Executive Vice President & Chief Commercial Officer of Porter Airlines.
“As one of Canada’s largest online retailers, WagJag helps millions of Canadians discover new and exciting products, services and adventures. We are always looking to better serve our members and are thrilled to partner with MasterCard and be one of first merchants in Canada to implement MasterPass payment technology,” said Jeremy Zuker, President and Founder of WagJag. “We are happy that our members can benefit from the ease of MasterCard’s latest innovative payment technology.”
“As early adopters of innovative technology, our customers at Grocery Gateway have come to expect ease-of-use and convenience as part of their experience. Now, with the integration of MasterPass, our customers have an additional payment option available at checkout- essentially creating a virtual wallet at their fingertips,” said John Charleson of Longo Brothers Fruit Market Inc., operator of Grocery Gateway.
“MasterPass represents an excellent growth opportunity for Global Payments’ Canadian merchants with its platform for emerging digital commerce capabilities,” said Jeff McGuire, Vice President, Product Delivery and Technology, Global Payments Canada. “Global Payments is committed to delivering leading-edge solutions to merchants and is excited to be at the forefront of this digital commerce evolution.”
“At Moneris, we are proud to be one of the first Canadian acquirers to enable MasterPass through our eCommerce gateway,” said Jeff Guthrie, Chief Sales and Marketing Officer, Moneris Solutions Corporation. “In today’s increasingly digital world, we constantly strive to provide payment systems that maximize convenience and business value through technological innovation, while keeping customer and merchant data secure.”