Millennials are more likely than their older counterparts to travel with a purpose as 84% of millennials say they would travel abroad to participate in volunteer activities,
According to a new survey released by Marriott Rewards Credit Card 32% of millennials are interested in taking a charitable trip, while only two in ten Generation X travelers (18%) and baby boomers (17%) are interested in doing the same. Conversely, female travelers (28%), regardless of age, tend be more interested in taking a charitable vacation compared to their male counterparts (17%).
Other Interesting Findings:
• Millennial travelers ages 18-34 (44 percent) are more likely than travelers ages 35-49 (33 percent) and 50-67 (27 percent) to view destinations as hot spots if they have a booming industry and culture. Older travelers ages 50-67 (34 percent) are most likely to define a destination as a hot spot if it was highlighted in a notable travel or lifestyle publication.
• One in five millennials (20 percent) would say a destination is a hot spot if it has recently been featured in a movie, compared to only 11 percent of Gen Xers and seven percent of boomers.
• Around the same amount of millennials (21 percent) and travelers ages 35-49 (20 percent) say a destination is a hot spot if pop culture events, such as award shows or concerts, have taken place or will take place there, compared to one in ten travelers ages 50-67 (10 percent).
Millennial travelers seek thrilling adventures and nightlife over leisurely vacations abroad
• Millennial travelers are far more interested in thrilling vacations (78 percent) than lazy trips (32 percent).
• Those millennials seeking a thrilling vacation are most interested in filling their adrenaline needs through water sports (67 percent), compared to travelers ages 35-49 (55 percent) of ages 50-67 (46 percent).
• Interacting with wild animals through activities like safaris or swimming with sharks (63 percent) is also of significant interest to millennial travelers who seek thrilling vacations.
• Millennials (28 percent) are much more likely than Gen Xers (15 percent) and Boomers (six percent) to consider the local nightlife when choosing a particular destination abroad to visit.
For data, background and forecasts on Millennials: Search CardWeb.com’s CardFlash® Library of more than 58,000 archived articles; Access CardWeb.com’s CardData® for current and historical Performance, Portfolios, Profiles, etc. Visit RAM Research® (ramresearch.com) for quarterly and annual forecasts covering more than 150 metrics. [complimentary or deeply discounted access to CardWeb.com subscribers].
Additional database resources include CardWeb.com’s CardExecs® – comings & goings of payments movers & shakers; CardWeb.com’s CardWatch® – ears & eyes on marketing globally (57K items); and CardWeb.com’s CardPixes® – form & function of card design (7K items).