Gzhou-based Alibaba reported second quarter GMV grew to US$109 billion, a year-on-year increase of US$28 billion or 34.6% year-on-year (YOY).
Mobile GMV reached US$60 billion, an increase of 125% year-over-year, and accounted for 55% of total GMV transacted in its China retail marketplaces.
Revenue was US$3,265 million, an increase of 28% year-over-year. Excluding the effect of the suspended online lottery business and the SME loan business we transferred to Ant Financial, revenue would have increased by 36% year-over-year.
Alibaba extended its mobile usage leadership with 307 million MAUs and 55% of GMV transacted through mobile devices during the June 2015 quarter, and we made significant progress in monetizing mobile transactions. For the first time, mobile revenues exceeded desktop revenues in the China retail marketplaces. Alibaba mobile revenue from China retail marketplaces for the current quarter was US$1,288 million, accounting for 51% of its China retail marketplace revenue in the second quarter, which represents a year-on-year increase in mobile revenue of 225%.
Alibaba net income in the quarter ended March 31, 2015 was RMB2,869 million (US$463 million), a decrease of 49% compared to RMB5,661 million in the same quarter of 2014. The decrease was primarily due to the effect of share-based compensation expense, net income would have increased by 14% in the quarter ended March 31, 2015 from the same quarter of 2014.
2Q/14: US$81 billion
3Q/14: US$62 billion
4Q/14: US$127 billion
1Q/15: US$ 97 billion
2Q/15: US$109 billion
Alibaba Group’s major businesses include:
• Taobao Marketplace (www.taobao.com), China’s largest online shopping destination
• Tmall.com (www.tmall.com), China’s largest third-party platform for brands and retailers
• Juhuasuan (www.juhuasuan.com), China’s most popular online group buying marketplace
• Alitrip (www.alitrip.com), a leading online travel booking platform
• AliExpress (www.aliexpress.com), a global online marketplace for consumers to buy directly from China
• Alibaba.com (www.alibaba.com), China’s largest global online wholesale platform for small businesses
• 1688.com (www.1688.com), a leading online wholesale marketplace in China
• Alibaba Cloud Computing (www.aliyun.com), a provider of cloud computing services to businesses and entrepreneurs
For data, background and forecasts on Alibaba: Search CardWeb.com’s CardFlash® Library of more than 58,000 archived articles; Access CardWeb.com’s CardData® for current and historical Performance, Portfolios, Profiles, etc. Visit RAM Research® (ramresearch.com) for quarterly and annual forecasts covering more than 150 metrics. [complimentary or deeply discounted access to CardWeb.com subscribers].
Additional database resources include CardWeb.com’s CardExecs® – comings & goings of payments movers & shakers; CardWeb.com’s CardWatch® – ears & eyes on marketing globally (57K items); and CardWeb.com’s CardPixes® – form & function of card design (7K items).