A new survey from Chase Freedom reveals self-gifting is part of the American holiday shopping spirit and 77% of holiday shoppers who have a credit card offering rewards are likely to use the rewards they earn holiday shopping on gifts for themselves.
• Most holiday shoppers (85 percent) ‘gift themselves’ while shopping for others
• Nearly 60 percent (57 percent) have either spent more on themselves than on those for whom they were shopping or kept something originally purchased for someone else
• The majority (69 percent) of those who gifted themselves while holiday shopping for others did not have buyer’s remorse and half (48 percent) even felt a sense of happiness
• Sixty percent of holiday shoppers who have a credit card that offers rewards or points are likely to spend their rewards on gifts for others
• Seventy-seven percent of holiday shoppers who have a credit card that offers rewards are likely to use the rewards they earn holiday shopping on gifts for themselves
Chase Freedom will offer cardholders an extra 5% cash back (for a total of 10%) on up to $1,500 in new combined purchases at Amazon.com, Zappos.com, Diapers.com and Audible.com from November 23 through December 31. Cardholders will have their current quarterly bonus maximum dollar amount reset on November 23 so they can earn the total 10% on up to a full $1,500. Cardholders earned 5% on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in these bonus categories from October 1 -November 22. Cardholders who are not activated for the current quarter bonus categories earn need to do so by December 14. New Chase Freedom cardholders can now receive a $150 bonus for spending $500 in their first three months.
For data, background and forecasts on Chase Freedom: Search CardWeb.com’s CardFlash® Library of more than 58,000 archived articles; Access CardWeb.com’s CardData® for current and historical Performance, Portfolios, Profiles, etc. Visit RAM Research® (ramresearch.com) for quarterly and annual forecasts covering more than 150 metrics. [complimentary or deeply discounted access to CardWeb.com subscribers].
Additional database resources include CardWeb.com’s CardExecs® – comings & goings of payments movers & shakers; CardWeb.com’s CardWatch® – ears & eyes on marketing globally (57K items); and CardWeb.com’s CardPixes® – form & function of card design (7K items).